Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Cry Sanctuary by Moira Rogers



Recently, I read Crux by Moira Rogers, and really liked it. When the opportunity to read Cry Sanctuary, the first book in the Red Rock Pass series rose, I jumped on it! Before I read Cry Sanctuary, I read the free prequel, Becoming, which tells how the pack alphas, Gavin and Sam, met 40 years ago. Sam escaped from a viscious Alpha, Alan Matthews, and came to Gavin's pack for Sanctuary. (We also get a tiny peek of Keith as a child.)

Cry Sanctuary is Abby and Keith's story. Abigail Adler's life has been turned upside down in the last month. She had a normal life and friends, until the night she met Alan Matthews. She knew something was not right when her friend Dylan seemed uncomfortable with her meeting Alan. A few nights later, she's a werewolf in Alan's pack. Alan is a ruthless, abusive pack leader with no conscience. Dylan is one of his wolves, but not a dominant one, and he feels like Abby's turn to wolf is his fault. He suprises everyone by helping her escape to Gavin's pack for sanctuary. They're attacked on the way to Sanctuary by thugs from Alan's pack but are saved by two of Gavin's enforcers - Keith Winston and Joe Mitchell. After arriving at their temporary lodgings, Abby finds herself drawn to Keith but she doesn't know why. He calms her.

Alan hadn't given Abby any guidance about being a werewolf. She doesn't know any of the rules, and has only changed once but doesn't remember much of it. Gavin's pack assigns all new werewolves a Guide, to teach and help with the transition from human to werewolf. The Guide must be stronger than the initiate, and Abby is pretty Alpha; Devyn can't handle her so they know she must pick someone else. Abby wants Kevin to be her Guide, but he wants to make sure she understands what is involved and that he is the one she really wants; there are usually intense emotions and sex involved. We learn throughout the story that Keith had a mate who was killed and for that reason he is taking it extra slowly with Abby.

Right before their guide bonding ceremony, Abby gets an anonymous letter with a picture ofher sister - Alan has kidnapped her sister, Brynn, and is holding her hostage to make Abby return! Keith knows Abby is going to go and decides he has to help her. He enlists the help of his friend Joe, and they head out to rescue Brynn without telling Gavin, because to do so would incite pack wars. Will Alan let Brynn go? Is he going to kill her? Turn her into a werewolf? What's going to happen when they get back to Sanctuary and Gavin finds out what they've done?

I really liked this book. If this was a real town I'd like to live there and hang out with Gavin and Sam and the gang. I liked Abby and Keith, and I also liked Joe and Dylan. Joe and Dylan each had tender moments in the story that made me go "awww" and I wanted more of them! I think Joe's story is next and I can't wait to read it. I'm curious to see if we find out in Book 2 what happened to Alan. This book had a few different storylines going on and Moira Rogers (Bree and Donna) did a great job showing the possible outcomes of each situation as it happened and making you wonder what comes next.

There's another free short story after this book, The Little Things, about Gavin and Sam, and we get another glimpse of Keith as a child. It was very sweet. I've already got book 2, Sanctuary Lost, on my laptop and ready to read! Sanctuary's Price, the third book in the series (Dylan's story) was released this week.

I've said it before, I don't know why but if an author writes multiple series I stick with the one I like and don't read any of the others. Moira Rogers is an exception to that rule; I like both their Southern Aracana and Red Rock Pass series.


Disclaimer: This book was provided by the Publisher, Samhain Publishing Ltd., for review.

10 comments:

  1. Cool this is one I haven't heard of before thanks for the heads up! :)

    And hon come on over to my place for a surprise! :) I hope you have a great one! BIG HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this one! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi patti,
    Sounds like a good one, oh Samhain, i love the warnings they come with

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great read! I am so adding it to my list of to-reads! I love the new background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! And I hope Joe and Dylan entertain you just as much in the next two books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *kicks desk* I'm on a book budget and I wants this one. What genre is this? I swear I've heard of this author before, I can't remember if it is erotica or paranormal romance...

    ReplyDelete
  7. JennJ - thanks! Love the award and the presenters!!!

    Mandi - It really was good.

    Blodeuedd - Yes, I love Samhain's warnings; they're pretty funny.

    Buckeye Girl - It is a great read. I heart werewolves!

    Bree - thanks! I really did like the story and already peeked at book 2 while I was at work (shhhh!).

    Smokinhotbooks - It's paranoramal romance, not erotica. I hate being on a book budget :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you enjoyed Cry Sanctuary! This series is one that gets better with each book. Those are the best kind of series to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cover is gorgeous!!! I had to stare at it a bit before reading your review. ;)

    While this story does look really good, I'm not an ebook reader. I work nine hours a day, five days a week on a computer. It just makes me want to go home to paper.

    Great review and recommendation!

    ;) VFG

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard of this - didn't know their was a prequel ...

    I must add this to my list of shifter books to read...

    I like the round up - thanks

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete