Monday, October 19, 2009

Monday Miscellany

Hmmm...lots of miscellaneous stuff going on here:

I won a couple of contests lately, so my mailbox looks like this:

1. From Yankee Romance Reviews: A Tracy O'Hara gift pack, Night's Cold Kiss book/hat/shirt/bag. Very nice!
4. From Lovin' Me Some Romance: Demon Bound by Meljean Brook (I only need to find 2 more books then I can start reading this series!)
5. Michelle from Michelle's Book Blog sent me Private Places
6. At the Tote Bags N Blogs, Jasmine Hayes sent me a copy of her book, Open Invitation.

So yes, last week was like Christmas every day!!

**************
I've commented a few times about series that I've lent my husband that he's liked and people always seem surprised that he reads them, so I decided to make a list of my faves that my hubby has read. It started when I recommended the Harry Dresden books. He also read the Hunger Games books. I have not read either series but thought they sounded pretty good. He liked them a lot, then asked me what else I had.

First I gave him the Sookie Stackhouse series. His first comment upon finishing the series was "Sookie's a ho." then "When's the next book coming out?" (Actually, my father and my son have also read this series and I thought about doing a 3-generation male point-of-view review of the series. )

Then I gave him the Shifter series by Rachel Vincent. He said he enjoyed the series and asked what else I had.

Next up was the Mercy Thomson series by Patricia Briggs. He liked these and asked again "When's the next book?". He didn't like the Alpha and Omega books as much.

I also lent him the Magic Series by Ilona Andrews, thinking he would LOVE these - not so much. He said he didn't understand the world very well and had a lot of questions about Kate's heritage. The third book cleared up some of that for him but this was not his favorite.

I should also say he did read the Twilight series last year, he thought it was okay.

I'm trying to think of what to give him next: I thought about Karen Marie Moning's Fever series but he said he doesn't want to read about faeries. There's no way I'm lending him her Highlander series! Maybe I'll give him Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld books, although I only kept for my keeper shelf the Elena and Clay stories. Or I could give him Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy books, I haven't decided if that's his thing or not.

*****************
Lastly, I want to talk about Lora Leigh's Breed series:
This is not a review, more like observations. Recently I've read the first 6 (out of 18, I think!) and I'm noticing a theme:
Take one Breed (so far all male except one female), I'll call him Oil.
Take one human (female except for the female Breed story), I'll call her Water.
Obviously Oil and Water don't mix. He's posessive and brusque. She's feisty and "won't be tamed". Their attraction is instantaneous but they fight it tooth and nail. These stories have copious amounts of body fluid. In one of the stories the Hero told the Heroine to drink plenty of fluids; as much fluid as they lose I'm thinking the women should be lugging around gallon-sized bottles of gatorade to prevent dehydration! I'm guessing these chicks go through a dozen pair of panties in a day. The men all have penises (peni? for clarification, each hero only has one) that sound like they'd make a regular person go running for the hills - PLUS the extra animal trait (barbs for cat Breeds, knots for Wolf/Coyote Breeds). And then there's the buttsecks. I think all but two stories so far have crazy buttsecks; how that's possible with these crazy huge penises is beyond me.
Of course, I'm loving the series and it's fun to watch the couples compromise and in most stories you do get to revisit some of the previous characters and see how they're doing. It's a fun series.

9 comments:

  1. Lol, I loved your insights on those Leigh books, you had me giggling.

    That is so cool that he is reading, I could never get the bf to do it. I do think he should give those fairies a try, tell him they are mean nasty fairies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I wish my husband would read some of my books! I think Grimspace by Ann Aguirre is a great book for guys.

    My dad is totally hooked on Sookie books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish my husband would read my books, then maybe I'd get him to write reviews too ;)
    The only books we both like are hockey books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. humm i'm trying to come up with recommendations but i'm getting nothing, he's read the main series i would thought of.
    Like Mandi said Grimspace could be the next step, and the Otherworld series would keep him entertained for quite a long time ;)

    LOL i burst out laughing when i read your comment about one penis by hero lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patti! I'm so excited for you to read Meljean Brook's Guardians and congrats again on winning DEMON BOUND and all your other prizes.

    Love that your hubby has read and enjoyed some of my fave series like Mercy Thompson. I wish I could get mine to... I'd definitely be interested in a male point of view post. Great idea!

    I hope your week goes well!

    ;) VFG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I wish I could share my books with my hubby but unless it's a magazine on sports or race car, he isn't reading it. I share a couple of fantasy series with my son. I've tried to get him to read the Kenyon/Harris/Briggs books but I haven't succeed yet.

    What about Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series? Do you think your hubby would like those books?

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all please tell me your secret on how you get your hubs to read your books? My husband tends to roll his eyes whenever I mention he should read one of my books *sigh* Secondly I was/am? a Lora Leigh breed fan, except lately her breed bks have become a little too formulaic for me. I loved Elizabeth's Wolf and am axiously awaiting Jonas's bk *fan girl scream* Are you finding that all the characters seem to be mirror images of one another...? Or is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read your books because I love to read. I just wish you would read the books that I suggest because I know what your interests are and think you would enjoy them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is charming and I've enjoyed my time here. Thanks for sharing. All the very best,
    Simone

    ReplyDelete