Friday, July 9, 2010

Review: Dead, Undead, or Somewhere In Between by J.A. Saare



From the author's website:
One bad corpse can ruin your whole day. No one knows that better than Rhiannon Murphy. She’s left behind the flash and sass of Miami for the no-nonsense groove of New York City, eager for a clean slate and a fresh start. A bartender by trade, a loud mouth by choice, and a necromancer by chance; she’s managed to keep her nifty talent hidden from those around her – until now.

The deliciously good-looking vampire Disco knows her secret, and when he strolls into her bar to solicit help investigating the mysterious disappearances of his kind from the city, she discovers he’s not the kind of person that appreciates the significance of the word no.

But in a world where vampires peddle their blood as the latest and greatest drug of choice, it’s only a matter of time before the next big thing hits the market. Someone or something is killing vampires to steal their hearts, and unlike Rhiannon, this isn’t their first stroll around the undead block.
_____________________________________


Rhiannon Murphy is a bartender who has an unusual talent - *cue weird kid whispering* she sees dead people. Even within that talent though, she is special...she can see the "twice-dead", or vampires who have died again.

Someone or something is killing vampires, and sexy vampire Disco appeals to Rhiannon to help. She doesn't want to get involved with vampires, but Disco tells her it's an offer she can't refuse. As Rhiannon gets more involved in the mystery, she also gets more involved with Disco. And my-oh-my do they are hot, hot, hot. I loved the scene where he marked her.

Disco introduces her to Ethan McDaniel (who she calls Goose), who is also a necromancer, but he cannot see the twice-dead. He's agreed to teach her about her gift and assist her in finding out whats happening to the vamps. I liked the student/teacher relationship Rhiannon has with Goose, he was as calm and cool as Rhiannon was tense and closed

There's a nice mix of plot, sexytime, and action, and it was well-written. The story moved along and kept me interested; I didn't have the urge to skim forward to the next scene. I had a bit of trouble at the beginning trying to figure out who was who and how Rhiannon initially got involved with vamps, but after I went back and re-read it I was okay. My only real complaint was the ending. I didn't like it, I don't usually enjoy books in that type of setting. My hope is the author has a way out of it...

I give Dead, Undead, or Somewhere In Between 4 stars.


Note: I don't know about the kindle version, but if you get the paperback version there are some typos - such as calling Ethan - Nathan, and switching conscience for conscious. I know this is not the author's fault.

7 comments:

  1. *cue weird kid whispering*

    LOL.
    And 'Disco' as a vampire name. Huh. I am intrigued. Definitely adding this one to the TBR pile.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sexytime and action, well that doesn't sound too bad now does it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Vernal Zephyr's been collecting cover samples of that model. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. :) I have to add this one to my list of must haves. :)

    Have a great weekend.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone in my blogging sphere has read this one. I feel left out *cries*

    Maybe I'll read it this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review, Patti! I like the sound of this, although I'm concerned about the ending now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got that one on my books shelf just waiting for me...

    awesome review! =)))

    ReplyDelete