Friday, July 16, 2010

Review: Crimson Moon by J.A. Saare


From the author's website:
Trueblood vampires. Those set apart from commons by right of blood. Graced with extraordinary abilities such as telepathy, clairvoyance, and precognition - they are the most powerful and feared among their kind. The secret lies within, a legacy evolving from the truest form of magic, and their living bloodlines are the key.

An average routine morning is exactly what twenty-year old Emma Johnson hopes to avoid when she visits Joe’s CafĂ© for a steaming cup of coffee and freshly made donuts. She’s jaded by her small town, the community that has ostracized her, and the empty house that symbolizes what her life has become; a hollow shell. Yet things are not entirely as they appear, and Emma is about to discover she isn’t the normal girl she once believed.

After she is rescued from a horde of demonic bloodthirsty creatures by Caleb, the most captivating and enigmatic person she has ever met, she struggles to accept the unimaginable truth he imparts. That he has been dispatched by the Father she has never known, a powerful vampire from the house of DeViard, to see her safely home. For Caleb is also unique, a werewolf procured to protect the invaluable royal bloodlines from harm.

Soon, the undeniable connection Emma and Caleb share evolves beyond mere attraction into something more substantial. But their time together is short lived, forced to an end when she is sent to the trueblood vampires that claim her as one of their own.


________________________________

I recently read Dead, Undead, or Somewhere In Between by J.A. Saare and thought it was pretty good (even if I was less than enthusiastic about the ending - my review is here). Right after I finished, I won a copy of Crimson Moon (which I believe is Ms. Saare's first published book?) from Fiction Vixen.

I loved this book!!! I couldn't put it down - I stayed up until midnight reading, read through lunch at work and started reading as soon as I got home again!

Emma is an easily likeable character - curious and not afraid to ask questions but not annoying at all. She is not strong or kick-ass, especially not compared to the creatures she suddenly finds herself surrounded by, but she's smart and adapts quickly to her new situation.

Caleb is absolutely delish! He's just the kind of male character I like - strong, sexy and posessive, but not obnoxiously so - he's got a sweet and sensitive side too. He did make one decision that I didn't agree with, but he did rectify the issue so I can't stay mad at him :)

The secondary characters in this book were also enjoyable - Caleb's friends Derek and Sarah were a fun couple (maybe they'll get their own book? *hinting @J.A. Saare). And on the vampire side Trent was great - at first I didn't want to like him but he slowly won me over with his persistence and attitude.

Crimson Moon is almost like two books in one - the first half is Emma's escape from the zombie-type kidnappers and her blossoming relationship with Caleb, the second half is her journey to meet her father and the events that unfold while she's there. The end of this book was very, very satisfying. My frustration with a certain character was wiped away by the Epilogue.



I give Crimson Moon by J.A. Saare




Many, many thanks to Fiction Vixen and Ms. Saare for giving away this book!!

9 comments:

  1. It took me a little while to warm up to Crimson Moon, but I fell completely for Caleb, and until she went to her family, I adored Emma as well. She had to have that period of time where she wasn't sure what she wanted, not really, and was almost forced into a new life because of extenuating circumstances. I loved Crimson Moon, and want more of that world.

    Fab review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! That definitely sounds like a good book will have to add that to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patti ~

    I'm so glad you enjoyed Crimson Moon. Thank you for the wonderful review. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this author before. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous book! Love, love, love, Caleb!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, you liked it! I'm so glad. I agree, I loved Caleb too. :) Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo...I've been hearing a lot of good things about this one. I guess I'll have to give it a shot soon! Thanks for the review, and have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete