Thursday, February 18, 2010

Review: Decadent by Shayla Black



This book falls into my Erotica Reading Challenge.

I read Ms. Black's first book in this seris, Wicked Ties (review here), and I liked it, but it had some issues that were hard for me to get past. I wanted to try another book before gave this series a thumbs-up or not. Well, I'm giving it the thumb's up....I like it and am looking forward to the next book. Okay, the premise was a bit unbelievable, but once I got past it I didn't care - it was a sexy, sexy book!

Kimber Edgington is a twenty-three (I think!) year old virgin. She's been saving herself for her long-distance boyfriend Jesse, who is a famous musician that's been on tour for several years. Kimber and Jesse met while Kimber's dad was doing bodyguard work for Jesse, then after an intense summer he went on tour but they stayed in touch. Kimber knows Jessie likes menage, and she wants to be taught the "tricks of the trade" so to speak, but she wants to remain a virgin for Jesse. She knows that one of her father's former employees, Deke Trenton, is into menage and she asks him to teach her.

Deke has known Kimber since she was a teenager, and he respects her father, his former employer. He turns her down at first, but his cousin Luc convinces him that if they don't teach her she'll find someone who will - and they may not be as gentle with her as Deke and Luc will. Deke reluctantly agrees and Kimber moves in.

I think you all know about how I get creeped out about people who are related by blood being in a menage together. I guess 2nd cousins don't count in my book because it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Deke and Luc are sexy, sexy men.

Deke had some weird hangup/terrible secret about not having sex with a virgin, but they worked around that. I did spend a good portion of the book trying to figure out how Deke killed someone during sex. I just knew that had to be his terrible secret - what else could it be? I mean, honestly, why else would he not want to have sex with a virgin unless he accidentally killed one? But, in the end that part of the storyline made sense. There was also another storyline going on with Kimber's dad and a stalker which made for some conflict (conflict here meaning more opportunities for Kimber and the guys to have sexytime *wiggles eyebrows*).

Well, I know this review is all over the place, but what I'm trying to say is that it was a fun, sexy read. I can't believe I'm writing this but there may have been a bit too much sex for me (I may have skimmed the sexy parts a time or two). I'm looking forward to her next book, Delicious - Luc's book.

I give Decadent 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

10 comments:

  1. LMBO!!!!!! -->> "can't believe I'm writing this but there may have been a bit too much sex for me"

    I recently read a book like that too. So, I know what you are talking about! But I am glad that you gave the series another try and you liked it! I am working on getting these!! Hope all is well hon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one. Although like you, I had to get past the initial premise, which was far-fetched for sure. But the suspended disbelief was totally worth it for the yummy guys. The next book is definitely on my wish list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got done with Delicious for a review on my blog. I can't wait to post it but I have to wait closer to the release date! Luc is even sexier in the next one! I love this authors books! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your reviews, and this sounds like a good book for the erotica and contemp romance challenges that I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cecile - I couldn't believe it! But yes, I'm glad I gave the series another chance.

    Roni - Yes, suspended disbelief was definitely worth it!

    Amy J - I'm so jealous - I can't wait for Delicious! Looking forward to your review.

    Colette - Thanks for the compliment! I read so many books I'm trying not to "double-up" on any of the challenges so I just used this one for my erotic challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok how does one kill a virgin during sex? Did she have a heart attach?
    Cousins, yeah could live with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - I would probably get hung up on that same question, Patti!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blodeuedd - it ended up not being exactly what I thought but it did make sense...

    Chris - seriously, all through the book I kept thinking ???

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! This was a funny book in that the plot was waaaaay over the top, but like you, I enjoyed it. However, Deke's whole fear of killing Kimber b/c she was a virgin and his past regarding that, was a bit too much. LOL! I'm still laughing over it.

    I did love Luc though and I'm really excited for his story.

    Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

    :) VFG

    ReplyDelete
  10. VFG - yes, once I got past the plot it was enjoyable. Luc was so sweet, I'm sure his story is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete