Monday, November 30, 2009

Fools Rush In by Kristan Higgins




After reading Too Good To Be True and Just One of the Guys, I was sooo ready to settle in for a good time with this book. Mmmm...Not so much.

This is the story of Millie Barnes, a new doctor who moves back to her hometown to live and work. Her plan is to snag the guy of her dreams - Joe Carpenter. She's crushed on him since 9th grade. In a stalker way. I will admit I was warned, the first words in the book are: "I'm a stalker. The good kind." (Is there a good kind of stalker? Really?)

While the writing was good and I liked the characters, I couldn't get past Millie's stalking. She knew when he went to the post office, she knew where he'd be working, she went to his house at 5am to be sure of what time he left for work so she could jog by when he'd be leaving. She got a dog so their dogs could play together. If this was a guy doing this to a girl it would not be okay. And her friends enabled her!

Eventually she did catch Joe's eye, and surprise, surprise, he wasn't what she thought he'd be. Gorgeous? Yes. But Joe the Person was nothing like Joe the Fantasy. I actually felt bad for Joe.

Millie's older sister, Trish, was just evil. I did like her brother-in-law (Trish's ex husband) Sam, and Trish and Sam's son, Danny. Eventually, as Millie realizes Joe's not what she thought, she realizes Sam is everything she thought Joe was. But she knows she can't fall for her sister's ex-husband, can she? Oh yeah - it's possible - and I will say the way Trish found out was totally unexpected!

I think I would have liked this story without the stalker bit. I liked Millie's friends, even if they did enable her weird obsession with Joe, and they were there for her when she really needed them. Just because I didn't care for this particular book won't stop me from reading more of Ms. Higgins' books - her writing is just that good.

10 comments:

  1. Yea, I have to agree with you Patti... the stalker thing is a little creepy. I mean, I can see if you already had a dog and if somethings were a coincidence, then that would be fine too. But to go through those lengths - umm no. And falling for the sisters ex-hubby... ummm... Not sure if I could do that. But I am glad to hear that this did not or will not stop you from reading more of Ms. Higgins' work!
    Hope you are having a great Monday Patti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just sounds crazy. My brother had a a few chicks go after him like this. He has that stalker attraction thing going. Don't know what it is. These crazy girls are not fun and they are scary when they finally realize the guy ain't havin' it. One of my bros crazies threatened to beat up my mom! (She is 5'2 100 lbs)

    Great review. I don't know if I could read this and enjoy the character of Millie - I would just remember that blond chick and the phone ringing at 3 am.

    I gave you an award BTW! Check it on on my bloggy home - Right Here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stalker, ou, yeah I am with you on that one. Not sure at all about that, well I am sure, that I wouldn't like it.

    Still sounds like a good book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cecile! The ex-hubby part was okay, kind of sweet, but the stalker thing was creepy.

    Parajunkee - Thanks for the award! Yes, I don't think there is such a thing as a "good" stalker.

    Blodeuedd - haha - I'm sure I wouldn't like a stalker either! Yes, the romance was sweet when she ended up with the not-Joe guy, but I was frustrated until she got there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, Patti! I'm just glad that for once I don't have to add a book to my TBB list ;) 'cause I wouldn't want to read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just borrowed this one from the library. I've been dying to read a Kristan Higgins book ever since you started reviewing her. Sucks that 'fools rush in' isn't as good as the others, but I'll still give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - the stalking thing would get to me too...bad memories of my college roomate! ;)

    I still want to try this author

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janna - if you're going to try Kristan Higgins, I wouldn't start with this one.

    Danielle and Mandi - yes, do give her a try - I really enjoyed her other books and Just One of the Guys is on my keeper shelf for when I need a "cheer-me-up" read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear... this is sitting on my couch right now. I think it's going to migrate further down the TBR pile...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at you booking through Kristan Higgins' backlist! (Pun intended, by the way :P )

    Sorry this one didn't work out for you. I'll have to read it soon and compare reactions. It is on my TBR pile after all. ;)

    ReplyDelete